[M3devel] upgrade fails with compilation error in m3quake

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Thu Nov 19 22:52:11 CET 2015

On Thu, 19 Nov 2015 15:03:00 -0600
"Rodney M. Bates" <rodney_bates at lcwb.coop> wrote:

> It looks like a bootstrap barrier.  My installed compiler does not complain.
> The first argument has type LONGCARD, declared at m3-libs/libm3/src/os/Common/File.i3:34
> This was changed from CARDINAL in 2010, no doubt to handle big files on 32-bit systems.
> The compiler was changed to allow this at similar time.
>
> I made changes to the failing code in QScanner in June of 2014, but it would have had
> the same failure even before.
>
> I'm not sure of the easiest way to proceed.  Figuring out what the intermediate step
> would be could be tedious.  You might consider just editing the type in File.i3
> to CARDINAL temporarily, to build a compiler, then change it back and recompile with
> that.  But then, there could possibly be other such problems.
>
> But in general, we should have an upgrade procedure that anybody can use, starting with
> the release compiler, and no such manual stuff.  I suppose trying to compile the
> current libm3 before the current compiler is the source of the problem.  Can you easily
> recompile the compiler with your old libraries?   We seem to have had some bootstrap
> barriers that require doing the libraries before the compiler and others the other
> way around, which makes having a general procedure problematic.

Perhaps I should give up on upgrading this old 32-bit FreeBSD system and
just try to setup a current cm3 on another system at Elego. I just started
it because there seemed to be a still working version.

It's probably not worth the efforts.

Thanks for your help anyway; I'll try to download something newer for booting
from github.

Olaf

--
Olaf Wagner -- elego Software Solutions GmbH -- http://www.elegosoft.com
Geschäftsführer: Olaf Wagner | Sitz: Berlin