[M3devel] Target.Allow_packed_byte_aligned

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Tue Sep 22 06:55:50 CEST 2015

There is a proposal in here..here is a variation of it..

Allow packing of records tightly on all targets.
All targets get the same layout (modulo word size), the same things can compile successfully.
 Remove the caveat here that certain code will only compile for certain targets.
If Allow_packed_byte_aligned is false, and there is an unaligned read/write, there are a few choices.
m3front could transform into multiple inlined read/writes byte-wise taking the value apart of putting it back together.
Or m3front could issue function calls. The C implementation could be #ifdefed such
that amd64/x86 just do the read/write, albeit still with a function call.

C backend could set allow_packed_byte_aligned the same always.
In that case, the functions would be output into the file and inlined or macroed.

A warning might be issued about the lack of atomicity.

Heck, let's invent a feature...a pragma could be allowed on integral/floating point
values as to endianness and compiler could output the byte swaps for you.

The endianness could actually be some sort of runtime expression.
That's how some formats work -- they get written native, with an indicator as to which that is,
and swapped if necessary upon reads, and maybe swapped back for writes.

You know -- if you really want a powerful system for efficient binary persistance..

Or just leave it alone.

?

 - Jay