[M3devel] Modula-3 thread alert vs. Win32 thread alert?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Mon Aug 1 09:35:02 CEST 2016

Modula-3 threads and Win32 threads both a notion of "alert".

It seems it is almost the same notion. Where did it originate, I wonder?

It seems we could implement Modula-3 on top of Win32.

However I'm unsure.

In Modula-3, the only way to alert a thread is to call a specific alert function.

 In Windows there are approximately two ways to be alerted:   1. complete an asynchronous I/O.  2. Request an "APC" (asynchronous procedure call) unrelated to I/O.

 One could simulate Modula-3 alerting by queueing an APC, that does nothing.

 However, where I'm worried, is that completing asynchronous I/O  would alert a thread, unexpectedly to Modula-3.

 So don't use it?