[M3devel] A win32 thread test case

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sun Jul 31 06:24:18 CEST 2016

Something like attached?Still testing..might be crashing.A lot of the code and patterns come from ThreadPThread.m3.
 - Jay

From: jay.krell at cornell.edu
To: rodney.m.bates at acm.org; m3devel at elegosoft.com
Subject: RE: A win32 thread test case
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 02:52:02 +0000

While I agree this is confusing, it is holding together for me and I have mostly coded it up.
Repeating myself:  In this scheme there are two types of condition variable. There are Modula-3 condition variables and posix-like/schmidt-like condition variables.
The posix-like/smidt-like condition variables:   Can be implemented directly via posix condition variables (if Windows pre-Vista had them).   They are implemented as a slight modification of the Smidt counter method.   The differences are that condition.lock is removed. Caller of cond_signal/cond_broadcast is responsible   to hold the same lock as he holds when calling cond_wait.
  Some of the lock/unlock cycles are removed, and I hope therefore all the bugs are fixed.  I still have to work through your examples.
Modula-3 condition variables are then built on top of pthread-like/schmidt condition variables just like ThreadPThread.m3.
This includes "alertable". The separate event previously in the Win32 implementation becomes a boolean plus cond_signal.XPause changes to call XWait, essentially.
I was thinking we could reuse the Win32 thread alerting feature, but this alerts for other reasons so maybe isn't approprirate.
If this works, we should be able to share more code between the pthread and win32 implementations.We just need a name for this slightly constrained pthread interface, i.e. where the condition variables assume the lock is held by the caller of signal/broadcast (we don't use broadcast).
 - Jay