[M3devel] M3 Portabilbity, Installation, Distribution -- use Docker Containers for Easy Access?

John Marino adacore at marino.st
Sat Jun 25 16:06:12 CEST 2016

On 6/25/2016 2:24 PM, Olaf Wagner wrote:
> Lurking in the shadows and reading all the recent mails about improving
> the build system and seeing more and more steps 'backwards' to adapt
> to C, autoconf, makefiles and more overcome tools and concepts, a
> heretical thought comes to mind: Have you ever considered using docker
> as a means to provide easy access and distribution of Modula-3?

You mean Linux-only Docker?

In general this concept would not be compatible with typical s/w build
repositories used by various OS.  If you went to a primary Docker
distribution system, you're basically saying A) M3 is limited to Linux
and B) It's distributed by third parties (you) only.

At first glance, I'd say it's a bad idea.

John

---