[M3devel] parse.c licensing question, dual?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Tue Jun 28 07:37:17 CEST 2016

I can understand RMS's reaction, since this subverts the spirit of the license, by introducing a process boundary to break the linkage, where normally and conceptually there is a linkage, but I"m wondering about the letter not the spirit. :)

> As I understand it, because parse.c is an integrated front-end to gcc it must carry the GPL license

This isn't clear to me. There is some notion of "GPL compatible", which includes BSD licenses.

 > Since it is based on other gcc code it becomes GPL

Also slightly unclear -- "based on" could be 99% resembling or 1% resembling.

In either case...on my big list, maybe, is write a new front end in C or C++ and integrate with gcc or LLVM.
Or write out C (which is, still, an integrate path for gcc/LLVM).
I can translate *most* of Modula-3 to C in my head -- it almost trivially isomorphic.
There are a few parts of the ABI that aren't obvious to me -- open arrays and exceptions.
I understand part of them -- but e.g. the "dynamic construction" of exceptions, seems to almost resemble C++, but that doesn't really compute for me in the context of Modula-3.

I also suspect it matters less now.
There are larger enemies now.