[M3devel] Rants about an improbable release

dirk muysers dmuysers at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 1 11:19:50 CET 2016

Some useful ideas how to to that could be borrowed from the golang documentation<https://golang.org/doc/>. Have at least a look at it.

On 01/11/2016 11:13:37, Wolfgang Keller <9103784 at gmx.de> wrote:

I welcome your initiative and send you some of the thoughts for it.

Modula-3 Release Endeavour

= Desirables =

-- Documentation
- overview of public executables and what they can do
- compiler application guide
- module package guide
- setup guide
- up-to-date language definition (text)
- implementation status report
- license, legal and project reference material

-- Structuring
- add a "doc" folder and populate it with documents
- does it make sense to structure the "lib" module library?
- package categories: core, io, nearer, further, services

= Progressing =

- think about what goes into the release and what it should do
- define a structure for the release
- define a set of files that go into the release
- define the configuration context and make a document for it
- create a "digest all = complete+verifying" configuration program (if
feasible)
- make all release content also available in the CM3 git
- define an automated translation from CM3 repository to release build
(perhaps Ant is sufficient for this, perhaps you need a program
in particular if some files need transformation for the transition)
- live happy ever after

= Policy =

- only include into release what provenly is working

[wk - 01.11.2016]