[M3devel] Rants about an improbable release

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Fri Oct 28 17:44:01 CEST 2016

On Fri, 28 Oct 2016 09:42:38 -0500
"Rodney M. Bates" <rodney_bates at lcwb.coop> wrote:

> I agree, we very much need to make a new release.  There has been a lot
> of development since the last one, especially for having a small developer
> community.
>
> I have often thought I would be willing to do the work to do it, but every
> time, I get stuck not having any idea what needs to be done.  For one
> thing, I presume it entails verifying that things build and work on all
> the various targets, which would further entail having access to one
> of each of them.
>
> Are such machines available?  Any advice on how to proceed?

I think the most important thing would be to have an agreement on
- which platforms will be part of the release
- how the release will be packaged and deployed.

I'd advise to concentrate on a small number of important platforms, or
to have a simple standard procedure for all platforms (for example
cross-compiled bootstrap archives) and more convenient support for some
of them (for example Debian packages).

Olaf
--
Olaf Wagner -- elego Software Solutions GmbH -- http://www.elegosoft.com
Geschäftsführer: Olaf Wagner | Sitz: Berlin