[M3devel] no-m3ship-resolution should be the default and only option?

Jay K jayk123 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 15 10:00:42 CET 2017

Propose:

-no-m3ship-resolution be the default and only option
 Accept and ignore it, always doing what it implies.

Specifically:
1) when you ship right after building, the resolutions occurs just after it would have.
2) Is there any advantage to the old behavior?
 Does it allow some easier bootstrapping across machines that have the same file
 system layout, but which somehow can't correctly resolve at ship time??

Olaf added this switch a few years ago.
I believe it enabled distribution across across machines right before shipping.

Basically, probably few people realize this, but cm3 reproduces many many parts of build systems.
If you view the traditional build system as configure && make && make install.
 1. configure is built in hardcoded for a few platforms (not great)
 2. make == cm3
 3. cm3 -ship == make install

But by default, step #2 actually generates "install scripts" so that #3 has a bit less to do -- it just runs generated quake.

What Olaf's switch does, is still generate about the same quake, but paths remain starting with a symbolic prefix instead of full hardcoded paths.
I really don't see any reason to favor the old behavior.
Again, I propose the old behavior be removed, the switch be accepted and ignored for compatibility, and the new behavior be the only one remaining.