[M3devel] syscall wrappers, m3gc and cm3..

Dragiša Durić dragisha at m3w.org
Fri Apr 20 15:06:11 CEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 14:56 +0200, Olaf Wagner wrote:
> >> You would also need to consider all indirect system calls via libraries
> >> and embedded C code. I think the M3 developers tried to offer a more or
> >> less complete set of safe system calls, regardless how they are called
> >> from the M3 program.
> >
> >   It is, but C libraries are mostly in these few percents remaining...
> > Good wrapping techniques and auditing of existing libraries (hint: grep
> > EXTERNAL) would be small effort for seamless integration of full m3
> > runtime with unperfect C world.
>
> I was trying to say that cover only the calls from libraries now used
> by the M3 runtime, but M3 is an open language and allows the integration
> of C and C++ (and other) code (and thus of arbitrary other libraries).

  It is exactly what I was pointing to... Arbitrary other libraries will
have defined entry points from Modula-3 code, and that is what
matters... What and how C library code is doing with _its data_ is not
of our concern. What is it doing with passed data concerns us, and it is
a place where interfacing guidelines/policies kick in.

> >   Does it mean garbage collection is not
> > incremental/generational/supercallifraglistic... anymore, or Anthony's
> > work has made it work without memory protection?
>
> The latter; we've got incremental and generational garbage collection
> without the need for memory protection and system call wrappers :)

  Oh. Oh. Ohhhhhhhhh. :)

  GREAT!

--
Dragiša Durić <dragisha at m3w.org>