[M3devel] A strange link time warning using cm3

Rodney M. Bates rodney.bates at wichita.edu
Thu Aug 16 23:19:08 CEST 2007

When linking a program of my own, using cm3 from the cvs head, I get this warning:

  -> linking LdlBatch
/usr/local/cm3/pkg/ui/LINUXLIBC6/libm3ui.a(TrestleOS.mo)(.text+0x177): In function
`TrestleOS__UserName':
/home/rodney/proj/m3/cm3-fresh/cm3/m3-ui/ui/LINUXLIBC6/TrestleOS.m3:32: warning: Using 'getpwuid' in
statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used
for linking

And a few more just like it.  This doesn't make any sense to me.  If a "statically
linked application" is what it says it is, why would it require at runtime, any
shared library at all, let alone a specific version?

Rodney M. Bates, retired assistant professor
Dept. of Computer Science, Wichita State University
Wichita, KS 67260-0083
316-978-3922
rodney.bates at wichita.edu