[M3devel] "where to root archives?"

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 31 12:04:53 CET 2007

"where to root archives?"
Maybe this is along the lines of "how to format my code?"
Religous and unanswerable and strong proponents of every answer?
but:
A) *.zip|*.tar.gz|*.tar.bz2 shall be named cm3.*
or B) cm3-<version>.*
ok, no question here, B is it.
And shall contain the structure:
 1) more than one file/directory at the root  bin/cm3(.exe)  pkg/libm3/...
or 2)  root contains only one directory, and it has a version in its name (and target probably)
 cm3-<version>/bin/cm3(.exe) cm3-<version>/pkg/libm3/..
or  3)  root contains only one directory, with no version in its name
  cm3/bin/cm3(.exe) cm3/pkg/libm3/..
#1 is what the current cminstall-using distributions use I believe.Since it is wrapped by an installer, doesn't really matter.Note though that the enclosing archive is also formed this way I think, but with fewer than 10 files.
It seems clearly the worst, unless you know about the tar -C or unzip -d switches, though tar -C doesn'tcreate the output directory, unzip -d does.
#2 is VERY popular and tempting for me
#3 is what the Win32 builds use currently (scripts/win/make-dist.cmd)
It has the advantage of being more directly useable.
 cd \ unzip cm3-<version>.zip
 and it goes into \cm3, a reasonable default, but could be preexisting (unzip does prompt I think)
 If it went to cm3-version, you'd probably want to either rename it, or create a link to it, Window having  varying support for different types of links on different versions, not sure if use is widespread.  fsutil hardlink create creates file hard links on XP+  mklink creates hardlinks and symlinks on Vista+     probably only file hardlinks and file or directory symlinks     At some point, directory links were avoided because a) not required by Posix? b) allows creating cycles     I see cycles now on my default installs and have crashed stuff as a result. :(  junction from www.sysinternals.com creates directory linkes on...Win2000+? (This is all NTFS only of course, or over SMB to other file systems; actually stupid fsutil demands a local file system, even though underlying CreateHardLink works over SMB..)
#2 seems safer, and user can immediatley rename to #3 after extraction.
Oh, and in the Explorer GUI, the default is to extract in a directory with the same name as the basename of the archive.That makes #1 slightly better and the others slightly worse.

Inevitably it seems the command line is doomed to always check before extracting anyway..
  unzip -l foo.zip | more
  tar tfz foo.tar.gz | more
Besides that, it still impresses and bugs me how much smaller .tar.bz2 is vs. anything else...but the Explorer support or .zip filesis also somewhat compelling...except that you have to use the command line with CM3 anyway....