[M3devel] Providing some current CM3 bootstrap archives, was: Re: m3cg build failure on powerpc/darwin

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Mon Dec 17 12:03:31 CET 2007

Quoting Tony Hosking <hosking at cs.purdue.edu>:
> A break is always good.  :-)

Hi again,

after some hours of sleep I can report at least some success on
my old Darwin installation. I've put the archives on our web server
for public access, and would like to add some more.

I still think a Darwin build on a newer system may be a good idea (we
can offer both on our web pages), and we definitely need some
for Linux (perhaps multiple distros, too, there?)
Solaris and Darwin/i386 would be great, too, and NetBSD, and of
course Windows. Mika offered to provide an archive for old FreeBSD
distributions (4.x).

So everybody who is willing to produce some installation archives,
please let me know, and I'll make sure they get shipped to our
server.

Please note that for the scripts/make-bin-dist-min.sh to work,
you need a sample configuration file in cm3/m3-sys/cm3/src/config/XXX,
as the ones in cminstall/src/config must be processed by the installer
first. Jay has removed the samples there a little bit too eagerly,
but most where outdated anyway.

To upgrade from an older compiler I have successfully used the
upgrade.sh script. So the complete sequence to build a bootstrap
on your favourite platform would be:

  1. Check out the current CVS head
  2. Copy your (working) configuration file to cm3/src/config/<TARGET>
  3. Adapt the installer configuration file if necessary in
     cminstall/src/config/<TARGET>. Make sure that all system libraries
     get dynamically linked, for instance.
  4. scripts/upgrade.sh
  5. scripts/make-bin-dist-min.sh

Any help will be appreciated.