[M3devel] Providing some current CM3 bootstrap archives, was: Re: m3cg build failure on powerpc

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 18 08:56:24 CET 2007

Blech, so much duplication.. oops/sorry.I'll make a new Windows archive and put it in my user directory on m3.elegosoft.com.
64 bit integer support will have to wait.
I assume we are in a "release push" here?
I COULD if really necessary do about any x86 Linux (maybe x86 Solaris, don't think it is supported) or PowerPC Linux or PowerPC Darwin..in a virtual machine if nothing else..

> for Linux (perhaps multiple distros, too, there?)
Oh for just a bit of compatibility... :)

> 1. Check out the current CVS head> 2. Copy your (working) configuration file to cm3/src/config/<TARGET>> 3. Adapt the installer configuration file if necessary in> cminstall/src/config/<TARGET>. Make sure that all system libraries> get dynamically linked, for instance.> 4. scripts/upgrade.sh> 5. scripts/make-bin-dist-min.sh
Hey! :)

 1. Checkout current CVS head.
 2. cminstall/src/config/NT386 should work for everyone.
 3. ditto
 4. scripts/win/upgrade.cmd
 5. scripts/win/make-dist.cmd.

I'm just being obnoxious. :)

Oh btw, anyone want to make an executive decision on a minor detail?
  .zip or .tar.gz or .tar.bz2 or self expanding .zip in an .exe?
  make-dist.cmd is setup to make any of these.
  I don't know how to make a self expanding .tar.gz or .tar.bz2...though should be easy, perhaps not with the following feature:
  The .exes can either be run, or can be used as direct input to unzip, or renamed to .zip and probably opened with Windows Explorer.
  It's pretty neat.
   .tar.bz2 is always the smallest in my experience and that's what I left make-dist.cmd doing.
   .tar.gz is usually in the middle.
  .zip usually largest, though more efficient for extracting less than the whole archive -- the files are compressed individually instead of compressing the entire stream at once.
   Self expanding .zip adds a small fixed constant prefix.

I wonder if cminstall can be "better" on Unix, comparable to it being gone on Windows, but I don't care.
You know, either make it unnecessary or make it totally automatic. I know it tries to figure out the defaults. I don't know how correct it tends to be.

Oh and then a really obvious obnoxious question is if we should be building .debs, .rpms, Mac .pkg/.img/.dmg etc..
Personally I don't mind the lowest tech current approach. Slackware anyone? :) (I used it in the Linux kernel 1.x time, which is when most of my Linux use ever was..)
 - Jay