[M3devel] anyone want to try Windows now?

Daniel Alejandro Benavides D. dabenavidesd at yahoo.es
Tue Jan 2 18:41:22 CET 2007

I would like to install here, I have Win Xp +Sp2 on professional Ed.
A project to make a Modula-3 plugin for Eclipse has been started, and it would be useful to have an installation procedure for cm3 on Windows.
I have an pm3 running here with one of the latest cygwin. I just made a little changes on pm3\language\modula3\m3compiler\m3cc\gcc\m3.c, but I dont know if that could be sended to the cvs repository.

Thanks

Daniel Benavides

j k <jayk123 at hotmail.com> escribió: Anyone want to try Windows now?
 What should work is installing the latest release -- 5.2.6.
 Checking out the whole tree, copying m3-sys\cminstall\src\config\NT386 to like \cm3\bin\cm3.cfg putting cm3.exe's directory in %PATH%, running vcvars32.bat or simiplar to get a compiler/linker in the path along with %include% and %lib% (sometimes this is done by Visual C++ setup), though %include%/%lib% are hardly used, and running any of scripts\win\do* or scripts\win\upgrad or scripts\win\make-dist, or cd'ing around the tree and running cm3, using any of a variety of versions of Visual C++. (Note that sysinfo.cmd puts \cm3\lib in %LIB% and if you just cd depend, and are using a Visual C++ Express Edition, without also the Windows SDK, then you'll get errors -- the Express Editions lack the Win32 import .libs. m3-win\import-libs builds them and puts them in \cm3\lib.)

 \cm3 is computed by cm3.cfg to be the directory above the directory that contains cm3.exe. So you don't have to edit cm3.cfg at all.

 Of course probably some machine/OS/configuration-specificity crept in and it probably only works for me.

 If you build with Visual C++ 8.0, there is a download/setup needed for machines without it installed, see m3-win\vcredist.txt.

 I only tested on XP but a variety of versions of Windows should work, esp. versions of NT (as opposed to 95/98)

 Anyone have a bunch of test automation here?

 The main problem was really just the infinite recursion in startup.

 Should a release be made soon then?