[M3devel] anyone want to try Windows now?

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Wed Jan 3 16:55:43 CET 2007

On Tue, January 2, 2007 5:30 pm, j k wrote:
> <DIV class=RTE> </DIV>
> <DIV class=RTE>What should work is installing the latest release --
> 5.2.6.</DIV>
> <DIV class=RTE>Checking out the whole tree, copying
> m3-sys\cminstall\src\config\NT386 to like \cm3\bin\cm3.cfg putting cm3.exe's
> directory in %PATH%, running vcvars32.bat or simiplar to get a compiler/linker
> in the path along with %include% and %lib% (sometimes this is done by Visual
> C++ setup), though %include%/%lib% are hardly used, and running any of
> scripts\win\do* or scripts\win\upgrad or scripts\win\make-dist, or cd'ing
> around the tree and running cm3, using any of a variety of versions of Visual
> C++. (Note that sysinfo.cmd puts \cm3\lib in %LIB% and if you just cd depend,
> and are using a Visual C++ Express Edition, without also the Windows SDK, then
> you'll get errors -- the Express Editions lack the Win32 import .libs.
> m3-win\import-libs builds them and puts them in \cm3\lib.)</DIV>
> <DIV class=RTE> </DIV>
> <DIV class=RTE>\cm3 is computed by cm3.cfg to be the directory above the
> directory that contains cm3.exe. So you don't have to edit cm3.cfg at
> all.</DIV>
> <DIV class=RTE> </DIV>
> <DIV class=RTE>Of course probably some machine/OS/configuration-specificity
> crept in and it probably only works for me.</DIV>
> <DIV class=RTE> </DIV>
> <DIV class=RTE>If you build with Visual C++ 8.0, there is a download/setup
> needed for machines without it installed, see m3-win\vcredist.txt.</DIV>
> <DIV class=RTE> </DIV>
> <DIV class=RTE>I only tested on XP but a variety of versions of Windows should
> work, esp. versions of NT (as opposed to 95/98)</DIV>
> <DIV class=RTE> </DIV>
> <DIV class=RTE>Anyone have a bunch of test automation here?</DIV>
> <DIV class=RTE> </DIV>
> <DIV class=RTE>The main problem was really just the infinite recursion in
> startup.</DIV>
> <DIV class=RTE> </DIV>
> <DIV class=RTE>Should a release be made soon then?</DIV>
> <DIV class=RTE> </DIV>

Hi Jay,

you seem to have done a lot of work for CM3 on Windows platforms; thanks
for that! I understand that most things are now working for you; but I'm
unsure about the actual state of the code and meaning of the above
announcement (as I haven't got much Windows experience). I think we should
proceed in two steps:

 1. write up some documentation about the

    - needed prerequisites
    - how to get and install them
    - how to install/upgrade and use the system

    which can be understood and used by M3-experienced people. We will
    then hopefully get some feedback from M3 users, can fix some problems,
    and improve the documentation. We should also pick one or at most two
    standard setups.

 2. write up end-user documentation for installation and use of CM3
    on Windows systems based on the chosen standard setups. This should
    be included in the CM3 www and doc packages and bundled with the
    official NT386 release for CM3 5.4. We should have some test feedback
    before we do that, though.

Olaf
--
Olaf Wagner
elego Software Solutions GmbH, Berlin, Germany