[M3devel] review before checkin/submit/commit? place for user-specific or work-in-progres?

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Wed Jan 3 15:58:00 CET 2007

On Mon, January 1, 2007 3:39 pm, j k wrote:
> require/prefer all things be discussed/reviewed before any
> checkin/submit/commit? Or ok to do stuff kind of single-mindedly? Source
> control helps it not matter imho, but cvs isn't a great source control system,
> as far as I know yet and as far as I have read.</DIV>
> <DIV class=RTE> </DIV>
> <DIV class=RTE>Is there anywhere appropriate to checkin</DIV>
> <DIV class=RTE>  work in progress?</DIV>
> <DIV class=RTE>  user/developer-specific stuff?</DIV>
> <DIV class=RTE> </DIV>
> <DIV class=RTE>For example at work we can put stuf in
> <root>\developer\<username>.</DIV>
> <DIV class=RTE>Can a similar namespace be carved out in the cm3 cvs tree or
> would that be an abuse?</DIV>
> <DIV class=RTE> </DIV>
> <DIV class=RTE>Maybe I should just find some generic hosting service..?</DIV>
> <DIV class=RTE> </DIV>

Jay,

usually it's OK to check-in changes on the main trunk if they are compiling
and working OK. If you are undertaking bigger projects that might affect
other development, you should create a development branch for them to
isolate them until they are finished and have been tested by others.
Anyway it is always a good idea to announce changes on the m3devel list
to see if anybody objects.

Have you read the M3 configuration management rules at
http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/cm3-cm-rules.html?

I would really like to have automatic compilation and regression testing
on different target platforms, but this is not too easy to set up and
maintain.

You are right that CVS is not the greatest tool for version control,
but it's working reliably, the bugs are known and can be worked around
or ignored :) A migration of the repository to e.g. Subversion would
be quite a lot of work, and have impacts on much of the existing
infrastructure. With the available human resources I wouldn't recommend
such a change.

Olaf

PS: You may want to include non-HTML versions of the texts in your email.
PPS: Please also note the other mails about the CFLF/LF line ending, which
  should be taken care of by your CVS client. If you don't get proper
  Windows-formatted texts in your workspace, you have set up something
  wrong.
--
Olaf Wagner
elego Software Solutions GmbH, Berlin, Germany