[M3devel] review before checkin/submit/commit? place for user-specific or work-in-progres?

j k jayk123 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 4 03:07:36 CET 2007

 > PS: You may want to include non-HTML versions of the texts in your email.

hm, sorry, that was hotmail's doing but I think due to a setting change I
didn't notice, not sure I made it or not. This should come through better.

>Have you read the M3 configuration management rules at

I'll reread them.

I don't like so much ahead of time oversight in my way...

It looks like folks have made it easy to convert to other source controls
systems, there are import tools, but I guess "easy" is relative, like all
things. "Nothing" has the minimal short term cost of course, but usually not
the minimal long term cost. My understanding is that Subversion isn't so
great either. It doesn't have like "hierarchical branches", just a mainline
and copying back and forth to it, something like that. My "random survey"
says Perforce is best.

Win32 mostly implies Win64. They don't need to be distinct forks.
Really the problem is like of "hierarchical sharing".
It bugs me how much is copy/pasted among targets in Modula-3.
You want to be able to factor out arbitrarily so that targets can be
"derived" from other targets, or intermediate abstract targets. (ie: Win32
would be the base of Win32-x86, Win32-PowerPC, Win32-MIPS, Win32-Alpha, and
even the base of Win64, which would then be the base of Win64-AMD64,
Win64-IA64..)
I realize that there isn't zero sharing here in Modula-3, but there is also
a lot of copy/paste.

_WIN64 implies _WIN32. They are both defined if _WIN64 is defined.
/Usually/ but not always #if defined(_WIN32) is around Windows-specific
code, not pointer-size dependent or processor dependent code.

This is true in Modula-3 where most but not all TARGET == NT386 and OS_TYPE
== Win32 code would work on any Win32 or Win64 architecture.

- Jay