[M3devel] review before checkin/submit/commit? place for user-specific or work-in-progres?

j k jayk123 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 4 04:22:58 CET 2007

I admit there are /lots/ of source controls systems. It seems like cvs held
down the fort a while, and then everyone about the same time decided they
didn't like it and wrote more stuff.
I don't know anything about monotone.

Compared to my little bit of use of cvs, perforce has:
  files are read only by default locally
  you have to explicitly check them out (not exclusively mind you)
  so you get "p4 opened", "p4 diff", where cvs doesn't have them or is slow

For branching you can create an arbitrary tree of branches and "integrate"
(merge) branches up or down the tree, or even across, or just individual
files or changelists (aka "cherry picking).

Heck, p4 diff brings up windiff which is nice. Surely I'm not using cvs to
its fullest (yet).

It has some model for "remote depots" where you have a local copy if all the
history. I haven't used it. In fact, the one feature I'd like that Perforce
does not have is doing this sort of thing by default.
As I understand, I think Subversion has that feature. Every developer has
all the history locally. I think in Git takes this one step further and
every developer has a local repository that is a peer of all the others.
There's some lack of hierarchy which turns out ok.

I'd really like cvs diff to not require network use.
p4 diff isn't ideal here either.
Heck, at least save a local copy of any file I checkout, if not more history
than that.

Anyway, my "random survey" includes very little use of anything, just
reading up on a little bit of marketing and "community" and parts of books.

Subversion does have Perforce beat on cost+licensing, but Perforce is free
for open source use, and free for a very small number of clients, I think
10, formerly 2. I plan to use it at home. We use it at work so I am very
familiar with it.

Open Watcom uses Perforce and I read in their newsgroup, either they or
someone else, stopped using cvs partly because it was a large cpu drain on
the host system.

There are just a bunch of systems these days.

- Jay