[M3devel] crash in released cminstall on win32, minor..

j k jayk123 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 14 17:39:43 CET 2007

Randy,

I changed cm3.cfg to not use full paths.
To just run cl, link, pass kernel32.lib on the command line.
What you do is first run vcvars32.bat or such that set %path%, %lib%, and
%include%.

The path to the Modula-3 installation itself, like to find mklib.exe, can be
found via path()\.. in Quake, no need to hardcode it. As long as cm3.exe is
in the path and the "normal" layout is used. Environment variables can be
used to override, making a new distribution might use that, to use the mklib
from a previous build to make a new from-scratch build (or could just copy
mklib and the compiler over).

Thus, no configuration is needed.
There are pluses and minuses to this approach.

Should a particular CM3 install be "bound" to a particular Visual C++
compiler/linker? Or should be allowed to "float" as the environment changes?

Plus cminstall still needs to prompt for where to install.
I don't know if that depends on the configuration stuff I removed.
I'll be trying it out soon.

My CM3 install works with a variety of Visual C++ / Platform SDK installs.
Including Visual C++ 2.0, 4.0, 5.0, 7.0, 7.1, 8.0, including the free 7.1
and 8.0 downloads, I think without a dependency on the Platform SDK, since I
regenerated import .libs.

I was just working on "make-dist.cmd", need to do a bit more
end-to-end-from-scratch testing and will put a distribution up on
m3.elegosoft.com for people to try. Just have to automate the tar commands
and try running cminstall, trivial stuff.

I'm aware of the 7.1 and 8.0 and SDK downloads. 7.1 is no longer available.
I test it out though. Oh, right, it is the one that lacks msvcrt.lib. So for
that I use the Platform SDK.
8.0 seems to expire after a month, at least the IDE, not sure about the
command line, maybe not. (unless you register it)

- Jay