[M3devel] Re: porting m3 on intel mac

Antony Hosking hosking at cs.purdue.edu
Sat Jan 20 23:18:16 CET 2007

Only issue is that the bootstrap compiler there still has the bug
that breaks pickling.  I'm building an update.

On 20/01/2007, at 1:02 PM, Darko wrote:

> Have a look here: ftp://ftp.cs.purdue.edu/pub/hosking/m3/I386_DARWIN/
>
> There you'll find the bits you need for Mac Intel. Replace your
> existing cm3, cmcg and cm3.cfg with the ones there, then you can
> compile the basic libraries you need like m3core and libm3, but
> make sure you have the latest sources.
>
> I think they're the latest but Tony may have something more to say
> about that.
>
> Darko.
>

> On 21/01/2007, at 1:41 AM, Olaf Wagner wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 03:05:55PM +0100, Renzo Orsini wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I  installed cm3-min-POSIX-PPC_DARWIN-5.4.0.tgz on an intel mac,
>>> then
>>> tried to a compile a Hello world program, but the compilation failed
>>> with the following message:
>>>
>>> pborsini:~/ProveModula3 orsini$ cm3
>>> --- building in PPC_DARWIN ---
>>>
>>> new source -> compiling Main.m3
>>> "../Main.m3", line 4: warning: potentially unhandled exception:
>>> IO.Error
>>> 1 warning encountered
>>> Main.ms:12:no such instruction: `mflr r0'
>>> Main.ms:13:no such instruction: `stmw r30,-8(r1)'
>>> Main.ms:14:no such instruction: `stw r0,8(r1)'
>>> Main.ms:15:no such instruction: `stwu r1,-96(r1)'
>>> Main.ms:16:no such instruction: `mr r30,r1'
>>> Main.ms:17:no such instruction: `bcl 20,31,"L00000000001$pb"'
>>>
>>> So I suppose there is PPC code to assemble and the Rosetta emulator
>>> for PPC on intel macs cannot do anything for this!
>>>
>>> Since I would like to port the Fibonacci language for databases,
>>> which is written in Modula-3, if I understand well the situation I
>>> should port the Modula-3 compiler by cross compiling it on a PPC
>>> mac,
>>> or something like that.
>>>
>>> I am asking you if you know about some effort of porting Modula-3 on
>>> intel macs, or at least if you let me know if this operation is
>>> possible (and also reasonably feasible in terms of time and
>>> expertise, given my teaching duties and my difficulties with
>>> assembler languages!), and, if so, if you can point me to the
>>> correct
>>> documentation to start with. Of course I will be very glad to give
>>> back to the community the result if I succeed!
>>>
>>> Thank you very much for your attention.
>>>
>>> Cordially
>>>
>>> Renzo Orsini
>>> Associate Professor
>>> Dipartimento di Informatica
>>> Universita' Ca' Foscari di Venezia
>>
>> Well, I wouldn't have thought that you were even able to install
>> the cm3-min-POSIX-PPC_DARWIN-5.4.0.tgz system on an Intel machine;
>> it's surely not supposed to run on one. It shouldn't be too
>> difficult to get a port of the latest CM3 for Darwin on Intel
>> processors; I even think somebody was already working on it,
>> but I don't really remember who, so I forward your mail to
>> the m3devel list, in case others have already started such an
>> effort.
>>
>> Olaf
>> --
>> elego Software Solutions GmbH                           HRB 77719
>> Olaf Wagner                            E-Mail: wagner(at)elego.de
>> Ohmstraße 9                               Tel: +49 30 40 04 19 29
>> 10179 Berlin                              Fax: +49 30 23 45 86 95
>> Cranachstraße 7                           Tel: +49 30 85 58 01 81
>> 12157 Berlin                              Fax: +49 30 85 58 01 88
>>  ------------------> WWW: http://www.elego-software-solutions.com

Antony Hosking                | Associate Professor
Dept of Computer Sciences     | Office: (765) 494-6001
Purdue University             | Mobile: (765) 427-5484
250 N. University Street      | hosking at cs.purdue.edu
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2066 | http://www.cs.purdue.edu/~hosking
   _--_|\
  /      \