[M3devel] some more notes on the win32 system

Randy Coleburn rcoleburn at scires.com
Fri Nov 30 23:24:25 CET 2007

Jay:

Thanks for all your help.

Actually, the last time I tried to install cm3, I used the 5.26 tarballs and tried to build, but ran into some compile errors.  I'll try it again and report back the actual errors I get (if any).

As for Microsoft Visual Studio, yes I'm familiar with setting it up.

Are you saying that the cm3install program should no longer be used?  I've used this in the past.  The big issue I've run into is making sure to give old style 8.3 pathnames without spaces and to edit the cm3.cfg file to find all the libraries and stuff using paths without spaces.  I've also set some environment vars, in particular the TEMP and TMP vars, to use paths without spaces.

I will try to be very careful to document everything I do in great detail.  Perhaps we can use this to give out a better recipe to folks on how to get cm3 working on Windows.

Regards,
Randy

>>> Jay <jay.krell at cornell.edu> 11/29/2007 8:48 PM >>>
some more notes on the win32 system

> setup your C++ compiler/linker

You can/should "play dumb", skip that, and just run upgrade.
See what errors you get.
I tried to put in the right amount of up front sanity checking.

What you need in particular are

cl and link on the %PATH%.
  See, cminstall would have you specify full paths, my configuration uses %PATH%.
If using VS2005 (8) or newer, mt on the path.

%LIB% is a semicolon delimited list of directories.
That is a feature of the Microsoft linker.
msvcrt.lib must be in one of them.

Any 32 bit version of Visual C++ -- 2.0, 4.0,, 4.1, 4.2, 5.0, 6.0, 7.0, 7.1, 8.0 -- should work.
I have tested all of them some and many required small changes in one particular spot,
 that actually is only used by "maintainers" (C:\dev2\cm3\m3-win\import-libs\src\make-lib-1.cmd).
I use 8.0 the most lately.
I haven't done much with 9.0.

Another thing, fairly redundant:

C:\dev2\cm3\m3-win>more vcredist.txt
On computers without Visual C++ 2005 or CLR 2.0 installed, download and run the setup for the Visual C++ runtime -- vcredist_x86.exe -- from either

RTM (release to manufacturing):
  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=32BC1BEE-A3F9-4C13-9C99-220B62A191EE

or Service Pack 1:
  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=200b2fd9-ae1a-4a14-984d-389c36f85647

You can find those searching the web for vcredist, no real need to recort the URLs. That's about it.

 - Jay

Your smile counts. The more smiles you share, the more we donate. Join in! ( about:www.windowslive.com/smile?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Wave2_oprsmilewlhmtagline )