[M3devel] trouble installing on a Debian lenny system.

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Wed Apr 9 04:25:29 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 09:24:11PM -0400, hendrik at topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 09:17:42PM -0400, hendrik at topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 12:57:39AM +0000, Jay wrote:
> > > "Rushing through the dialogues" is a new feature. I kept complaining
> > about how dumb it was. On NT386* at least, I stopped using cminstall
> > altogether. There is an -interactive option or somesuch.
> >

> > >  - Jay
> > >

> > But I suspect finding nonexistent files isn't a feature, new or old.  Is
> > it going to cause trouble later on?  Is it going to try to install
> > things that depend on postgres and odbc and fall apart?
>
> The -interactive option gives me interaction.  But it still finds the
> nonexistent libpq.so in /usr/lib.
>
> Where are the Postgres95 libraries?
> looking for library file(s): libpq.so
> checking for library files in directory /usr/lib... not found
> checking for library files in directory /usr/local/postgres95/lib...
> not found
> checking for library files in directory /usr/local/lib... not found
> checking for directory /usr/lib... found
>
> 1: /usr/lib
> Where are the Postgres95 libraries? [/usr/lib](1 of 1)
>

> Only after I accept the default location does it notice threre's no such
> file there.  I find this confusing, because it correctly fails to find
> in in all the other locations.
>
> But I guess I can live with this, because it gives me the chance to say:
>
> The libraries libpq.so are not present in the chosen directory.
> Would you like to change the library names? [yes] no
> Would you like to continue nonetheless? [yes] yes
>
> Thanks.
>
> -- hendrik

Well, it's working now.  My trouble do suggest to me that the downloads
and instructions obtained from
http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/installation.html
may no longer work properly.

The ones that worked for me were
http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/install-cm3-on-ubuntu-7-10.html

Further,  the noninteractive default for cminstall is quite
confusing.  The instructions should recommend the -interactive option.

Finally, I kept typing
  cm3 --version
instead of
  cm3 -version
The double hyphen is such a standard on other software that it should
perhaps be accepted here, too.

-- hendrik