[M3devel] trouble installing on a Debian lenny system.

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Wed Apr 9 14:54:08 CEST 2008

Quoting hendrik at topoi.pooq.com:

> On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 09:05:49AM +0200, Olaf Wagner wrote:
>> Three short notes:
>>  o cminstall didn't find the non-existent libraries, it just checked
>>    the existence of a directory:
>>
>>      checking for library files in directory /usr/local/lib... not found
>>                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>      checking for directory /usr/lib... found
>>               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> That explains the messages.  Thanks.
>>
>>  o Your compiler didn't have LONGINT support, so you need to use
>>    upgrade.sh. This should be documented (I think it is), as the
>>    introduction of LONGINT was an incompatible change wrt.
>>    bootstrapping.
>
> I was doing a new install.  The first installation (the stable
> release obtained from the .tgz archives) crashed.  I was advised to use
> the latest version from cvs, which failed because of the LONGINT
> problem and the fact I was still using the old cminstall file for
> bootstrapping.  Finally I found a new place to get a new cminstall, and
> that one finally worked.
>
>>  o cm3-min-POSIX-LINUXLIBC6-d5.7.0-2008-04-08-14-00-05.tgz
>>    should contain a new compiler and a new runtime, so there's
>>    no need for bootstrapping cm3, only normal package compilation.
>
> And this should be documented somewhere on the installation and download
> pages, which is what a beginner sees.  A beginner, who wasn't already
> sold on the virtues of Modula 3, would have given up long before I did.
>
>>    Realclean is required though to remove old derived files.
>
> That's something I hadn't heard of.  It looks useful.  Where is it
> documented?

Hi,

I agree that the documentation is probably neither consistent nor
complete not completely up-to-date :-/

I'm working on it when I've got some spare time, but currently
I'm really busy and can spare none. Would you mind providing some
patches to cm3/www that address at least the problems you encountered?
That would be very helpful.

I'll ship them to our WWW server on the request of any m3devel
member.

Thanks in advance for any doc contributions (from you or others),

Olaf