[M3devel] trouble installing on a Debian lenny system.

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Thu Apr 10 15:19:07 CEST 2008

Looking at your message, and trying to imagine the documentation
changes, it suddenly doesn't seem so easy.  For one thing, I'm not
familiar enough with the various systems to know what to say.

**********

> >I was doing a new install.  The first installation (the stable
> >release obtained from the .tgz archives) crashed.

This crash isn't a matter of a documentation change.  If the stable
release crashes during installation, it probably need to be replaced
with one that doesn't crash.  Or is that just a problem on Ubuntu,
Debian and related distributions?

The http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/ page says only:

:  If you would like to
:
:     * install on Ubuntu, Debian or a related distribution, or
:     * install a recent snapshot of CM3,

: you will want to read these more specific installation instructions.

: Alternatively, continue reading the general instructions below.

Which, I suppose wasn't worded strongly enough to warn me off the "more
general" method.

Perhaps it should say,

: you will need to use these different installation instructions,.

: Otherwise, continue reading the general instructions below.

**********

On the page of "CM3 5.5.1 Installation on Ubuntu 7.10 and Similar
GNU/Linux Distributions"

there's a list of software you should already have installed.  It should
include cvs.

**********

>  I was advised to use
> >the latest version from cvs, which failed because of the LONGINT
> >problem and the fact I was still using the old cminstall file for
> >bootstrapping.

I gather that normally there isn't a bootstrapping problem from one
compiler to the next.  The CVS instructions should mention that
you have to start with a new cm3-min- file, and not proceed from the old
compiler, or and old cm3-min-.  And, in fact, they do.  So this was my
fault for not noticing it.

A friend of mine once said that his mother was a superhero, and that her
superpower was the ability to follow instructions correctly.  I'm
starting to realize how true that is.

***********

When it says,

: the newest available stable tarballs (version 5.4.0) are too old.

it should perhaps say that they do not work, as

: the newest available stable tarballs (version 5.4.0) are too old and
: do not work.

By the way, what was too old about them -- are they no longer compatible
with current versions of Ubuntu, Debian, or other related
distributions?

***********

> >> o cm3-min-POSIX-LINUXLIBC6-d5.7.0-2008-04-08-14-00-05.tgz
> >>   should contain a new compiler and a new runtime, so there's
> >>   no need for bootstrapping cm3, only normal package compilation.

	Do you mean that there was no reason to run the commands

              ./do-cm3-core.sh buildship

              ./install-cm3-compiler.sh upgrade

	?

**********

> >>   Realclean is required though to remove old derived files.
> >
> >That's something I hadn't heard of.  It looks useful.  Where is it
> >documented?

And I have no idea how to document Realclean, or even how to use it.
I've found the cm3 option

	cm3 -clean

.  Is realclean something like this, as

	cm3 -realclean

?  And if so, what is the difference?

> Hi,
>
> I agree that the documentation is probably neither consistent nor
> complete not completely up-to-date :-/
>
> I'm working on it when I've got some spare time, but currently
> I'm really busy and can spare none. Would you mind providing some
> patches to cm3/www that address at least the problems you encountered?
> That would be very helpful.

I'd be happy to try.

-- hendrik