[M3devel] trouble installing on a Debian lenny system.

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Thu Apr 10 17:14:44 CEST 2008

Quoting hendrik at topoi.pooq.com:

> Looking at your message, and trying to imagine the documentation
> changes, it suddenly doesn't seem so easy.  For one thing, I'm not
> familiar enough with the various systems to know what to say.

In Germany we've got a saying `the devil lurks in the details'; don't know
if that is known to English speaking people, too :-)

> On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 02:54:08PM +0200, Olaf Wagner wrote:
>> Quoting hendrik at topoi.pooq.com:
>>
>> >On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 09:05:49AM +0200, Olaf Wagner wrote:

>> >I was doing a new install.  The first installation (the stable
>> >release obtained from the .tgz archives) crashed.
>
> This crash isn't a matter of a documentation change.  If the stable
> release crashes during installation, it probably need to be replaced
> with one that doesn't crash.  Or is that just a problem on Ubuntu,
> Debian and related distributions?
>
> The http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/ page says only:
>
> :  If you would like to
> :
> :     * install on Ubuntu, Debian or a related distribution, or
> :     * install a recent snapshot of CM3,
>
> : you will want to read these more specific installation instructions.
>
> : Alternatively, continue reading the general instructions below.
>
> Which, I suppose wasn't worded strongly enough to warn me off the "more
> general" method.
>
> Perhaps it should say,
>
> : you will need to use these different installation instructions,.
>
> : Otherwise, continue reading the general instructions below.

Sounds good.

> **********
>
> On the page of "CM3 5.5.1 Installation on Ubuntu 7.10 and Similar
> GNU/Linux Distributions"
>
> there's a list of software you should already have installed.  It should
> include cvs.

OK. But you can get the daily source snapshots without CVS, too.

> **********
>
>>  I was advised to use
>> >the latest version from cvs, which failed because of the LONGINT
>> >problem and the fact I was still using the old cminstall file for
>> >bootstrapping.
>
> I gather that normally there isn't a bootstrapping problem from one
> compiler to the next.  The CVS instructions should mention that
> you have to start with a new cm3-min- file, and not proceed from the old
> compiler, or and old cm3-min-.  And, in fact, they do.  So this was my
> fault for not noticing it.
>
> A friend of mine once said that his mother was a superhero, and that her
> superpower was the ability to follow instructions correctly.  I'm
> starting to realize how true that is.

:-)

> ***********
>
> When it says,
>
> : the newest available stable tarballs (version 5.4.0) are too old.
>
> it should perhaps say that they do not work, as
>
> : the newest available stable tarballs (version 5.4.0) are too old and
> : do not work.

OK.

> By the way, what was too old about them -- are they no longer compatible
> with current versions of Ubuntu, Debian, or other related
> distributions?

IIRC, the problem is that these systems encrypt their jmp_bufs which
are used for user threads in M3. I don't know if this can be turned
off globally. I'm also not sure if there wasn't something else.
Perhaps somebody else remembers?

> ***********

> 	Do you mean that there was no reason to run the commands
>
>               ./do-cm3-core.sh buildship
>
>               ./install-cm3-compiler.sh upgrade
>
> 	?

Yes. If the compiler works, it's up-to-date, as is m3core and libm3.
Everything that is not contained can then be compiled.

> **********

>> >That's something I hadn't heard of.  It looks useful.  Where is it
>> >documented?
>
> And I have no idea how to document Realclean, or even how to use it.
> I've found the cm3 option
>
> 	cm3 -clean
>
> .  Is realclean something like this, as
>
> 	cm3 -realclean
>
> ?  And if so, what is the difference?

No, there's no cm3 -realclean. It's only a command for the scripts,
as in

    scripts/do-cm3-all.sh realclean

which performs rm -rf $TARGET in every package.

>> Hi,
>>
>> I agree that the documentation is probably neither consistent nor
>> complete not completely up-to-date :-/
>>
>> I'm working on it when I've got some spare time, but currently
>> I'm really busy and can spare none. Would you mind providing some
>> patches to cm3/www that address at least the problems you encountered?
>> That would be very helpful.
>
> I'd be happy to try.

Great. I hope the remarks above will help.

Olaf