[M3devel] small set comparisons understood, now just to understand the front end code..

Tony Hosking hosking at cs.purdue.edu
Mon Apr 14 17:22:35 CEST 2008

I would hesitate to implement small sets as LONGINT instead of
INTEGER, since there is no guarantee that LONGINT is necessarily
efficient, whereas INTEGER is intended to be the same as the natural
word size of the target.

I could take a look at this but not anytime soon, since I have several
other things I need to work on.

On Apr 14, 2008, at 10:51 AM, Jay wrote:

> currently set <,>,<=,>= are implemented merely as
> integer <,>,<=,>=

Yes, that seems quite wrong.  I can't imagine things ever worked
properly if that is how they are implemented.

> This is wrong.
>
> I believe it should be:
>
> a < b => (a & b) == a
> a <= b => (a & b) == a (same as <=)