[M3devel] formsedit/pixmap bugs

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 2 03:18:40 CEST 2008

Darnit I realized what I should have quickly checked for before disappearing for a few hours.
(and darnit, did anyone else look at any code?)

The bug is in 3.6, essentially.
Anyone have anything older?
I think older might be readily available, but I also think 3.6 might be the first version with a Win32 Trestle, declared experimental at that.

3.6:
Searching for 'TextPortModel'...
D:\modula-3\src\vbtkit\src\vbtkitutils\VBTKitEnv.i3(30):  TextPortModel: TEXT := "emacs";
D:\modula-3\src\vbtkit\src\vbtkitutils\VBTKitEnv.m3(27):      IF Text.Equal (s, "ivy") THEN TextPortModel := "ivy"
D:\modula-3\src\vbtkit\src\vbtkitutils\VBTKitEnv.m3(28):      ELSIF Text.Equal (s, "mac") THEN TextPortModel := "mac"
D:\modula-3\src\vbtkit\src\vbtkitutils\VBTKitEnv.m3(29):      ELSIF Text.Equal (s, "xterm") THEN TextPortModel := "xterm"

The environment variable being checked for in the last lines didn't seem to work.
So I fiddled with the first line directly.
Change it to "mac" and it repros with 3.6.

Short term fix:
  Change the default to emacs for all platforms.

After that:
 Fix the mac model.

This is all related to how selection works.
Like if I select text, and then type, does the selected text get wholly replaced (mac) or does something wierd happen (emacs).
Or something like that.
"Model" is a plugin to "TextPort" that varies some of the behavior.
I only first heard of this this morning, skimming the code

If anyone can show me it *working* with the mac model in any version, I'm slightly interested.
Really we should just focus on MacModel.m3 and fix it, for the first time.
The problem is narrowed down enough, that it should be easy.

Please make the pixmap bug clear to me. I've only skimmed and I have noticed no description at all of the bug.
Just that there is a problem with pixmaps.
There was churn here between 3.6 and current.
Please test with 3.6 and/or 4.1 if you can.

I assume the "formsedit" bug is bad behavior in various "text fields" in a gui.
Formsedit is just one user of that -- of TextPort.