[M3devel] quake extensions for tests / RFC

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Tue Feb 5 12:39:23 CET 2008

Quoting "Daniel Alejandro Benavides D." <dabenavidesd at yahoo.es>:

> Hi Olaf:
> Is still possible to add Literate programming support, I mean using
> several functions that are just a commentary at the end of the file
> on M3Build.m3:
> http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/cm3/m3-sys/cm3/src/M3Build.m3?rev=1.8;content-type=text%2Fplain

You're talking of the builder's built-in functions; I haven't had a close
look at them yet (just extended the pure quake built-ins).

Of course it should be possible to add support for literate programming;
but I haven't any experience with this.

> Also there is a missing one on Built-in functions, one that "copy"
> the derived source of a noweb file (specifically a generic) from the
>  Target (e.g LINUXLIBC6) directory of the compiler to the src
> directory.

I don't think it should be done this way, and it wouldn't really
work, as the compiler would need two passes for each package then;
all derived files should be kept in the TARGET directory. I think
derived sources for literate programming should be handled in the
same way as instantiated generics (e.g. based on quake templates).

> In that way the compiler can use the source. The name of  functions
> could be: "derived_generic_interface",
> "derived_generic_implementation"

The actual implementation could be done in quake first and maybe
later be implemented in M3 in the builder for performance reasons.

> This stuff is used on  ldb debugger : http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/nr/ldb/
> The literate programming support was present on DEC SRC M3 I think:
> http://www.wiwi.uni-rostock.de/LABOR_NETZ/DOKUS/MODULA_3/html/modula-3/html/m3build/noweb.html

As I said, I've never used it and don't know about it, but will have a
look at it when I've got some time. If you could provide some of
the needed quake functions, that would of course be great ;-)

Olaf