[M3devel] scripts/PKGS

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 12 08:20:33 CET 2008

This is not my doing, at least not knowingly, just reporting the facts, officer. I wonder if maybe something more like Randy's scheme should be put in place. He has a smaller hand authored checked in file. The current system is more automatic, but doesn't handle changes automatically, and generates far more data than necessary I think. Perhaps another approach is to keep a timestamp/revision, embedded in the name, pkgs.v1234, someone rev the name as needed, and if the desired name doesn't exist rm pkgs.v* and recreate? This is a nice simple model imho. Changes are also very infrequent in my short observance.

(I do go so far in the python directory to always use forward slashes, so the files are more portable across systems. :)
Really, you know, it doesn't matter what the underlying system uses, as long as you translate at all the appropriate places and as long as you pick a syntax that can represent everything needed (not necessarily anything the underlying system supports).
However you do have to translate at all the appropriate levels, possibly under the guidance of user settings. In particular, I can set M3CONFIG, M3ROOT, etc. to have forward slashes and it works just fine on Windows, but when errors are reported with paths, I can't paste them into file.open dialogs without changing the slashes....)

 - Jay

From: jayk123 at hotmail.comTo: hosking at cs.purdue.edu; m3devel at elegosoft.comDate: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 06:16:45 +0000Subject: Re: [M3devel] scripts/PKGS

It is generated if it doesn't exist.Delete your current one.  - Jay