[M3devel] "target specific pragmas"?

Rodney M. Bates rodney.bates at wichita.edu
Fri Feb 15 23:52:22 CET 2008

Darko wrote:

> You say that C has 'won', but in what sense? More people use it?
> Language design is not American Idol, it's not a question of who has
> the most votes.

"It's what everybody is doing" motivates lemmings to jump off cliffs into
the ocean and drown (according to the apparently exaggerated legend.)
Thinking people need better reasons than popularity.

> You have to do more than list features of C or C++ and your opinions  on
> them. You have to provide some rationale as to their benefit which
> convinces people.

Sadly, in my experience, most people are so deeply committed to lemming
logic, that any attempt at engaging them in a polite but serious discussion
about programming languages or giving real rationale is almost always
dismissed, either as "That's just religion", or "This is what everybody
is doing, ergo it has to be the right way."

Rodney M. Bates, retired assistant professor
Dept. of Computer Science, Wichita State University
Wichita, KS 67260-0083
316-978-3922
rodney.bates at wichita.edu