[M3devel] Is the climate right for a new promotion?

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Tue Feb 26 22:28:56 CET 2008

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Rodney M. Bates wrote:

> I have been thinking lately that the climate might be right for a new
> attempt to promote Modula 3.  I see two major trends and a small one
> that suggest this.

Promoting Modula-3 is always a good idea. But competition is hard. There
are Ada and Eiffel which also follow the safety approach, but are still
close to common imperative thinking. But also the Haskell community claims
that it has the answer to safety issues and to parallelity. In functional
programming you get more guarantees for free, but you have to pay with
efficiency. However, there is constant progress in this respect. From my
perspective, Modula-3's selling points against Ada and Eiffel are
(relative) simplicity, and compared with functional programming Modula-3
may attract people by a conservative (imperative) programming style.