[M3devel] bootstrap from IL code?

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 27 11:54:41 CET 2008

DEC M3.6 was distributed as assembly and some C files. It could just as well be .obj files.
Most of the C was the implementation of quake, but maybe also dtoa.c, hand.c, and such.
There is already a lot here, there is something like having the build stop either right before running as or right before ld, and then somehow resuming after all the files are copied to the target. I thought Olaf would answer "more positively", and I thought the stuff in scripts/* does about what you want, and I believe there is good documentation on exactly this. I realize that in what I said there, there's a mystery as to how to "resume" on the target. Cm3 could about some big .sh or .cmd file easily enough.
Maybe the difference is just the amount of "friendliness" of the process? Not easy enough for "beginners"?

I really expect we'll, um, "cross" the 32/64 boundary relatively soon in terms of, um, cross building.
Unless I'm badly mistaken as to the general design of cm3.
It sure looks prepared to do correct compile time math how the target would.
And heck, maybe it could just skip constant propagation if not?
  (gcc also uses a lib in to do correct floating point target math, one of the dependencies I was initially missing, ./configure complains clearly)
Not sure, it might be matters of correctness and not just optimization that require target math.
For array maximum sizes, if that was the only problem, probably reasonable to just have 32 bit limits (TextLiteral.i3 has a problem building because of this.)

I need to try out NT386GNU's GUI stuff (X Windows), make sure all of "std" can build and run for some reasonably large set (a lot already builds), and fix the Windows bitmap problem, and maybe PPC_LINUX dynamic linking and get a current distribution out, but I think getting ALPHA_OSF to compile (but not assemble or link) is among the next good things to try, as a stepping stone to a "real" 64 bit target such as, as I said, AMD64, IA64, POWER64, SPARC64. AMD64 of course I think is the most interesting, the cheapest hardware and it runs "everything" -- Windows, Linux, I think Solaris -- and in all cases "both" architectures even, via multi boot and always/sometimes "one boot". (I know this is true of Windows, I believe it is optional on Linux depending on distribution/configuration, they call it "biarch", and unsure about Solaris, not sure it has an AMD64 port or not, but certainly it has x86.)

IF IF IF I'm right as to how the compiler works, this really shouldn't be a big deal.. We'll see..

 - Jay