[M3devel] I need CVS help again

Rodney M. Bates rodney.bates at wichita.edu
Sat Jan 12 01:20:04 CET 2008

I have gotten myself into this jam before, as a result of trying to
develop/test on more than one local machine with more than one M3
installation.  I have more questions on how to figure out what happened
and how to fix it.

I did a cvs update when, I guess, I had local uncommitted edits.
I got messages saying that changes were being merged and there were
conflicts.  For example, I now have local files named:

     .#m3-eval.c.1.12
     m3-eval.c

and in CVS/Entries, the line:

     /m3-eval.c/1.14/Result of merge...

Have I correctly surmised that this all means

1) prior to the update, CVS/Entries would have said:

      /m3-eval/c/1.12...

    meaning 1.12 was the last version cvs knew I had,

2) But my local m3-eval.c had local changes relative to 1.12,

3) And .#m3-eval.c.1.12 is a copy of that locally changed
    m3-eval.c, as it was prior to the cvs update,

4) The latest version cvs has in its repository is 1.14, and

5) My current local m3-eval.c was generated by merging version
    1.14 from the repository with what is now in .#m3-eval.c.1.12?

Is there a simple way to get cvs to diff between its stored
version 1.12 and my .#m3-eval.1.12?

Rodney M. Bates, retired assistant professor
Dept. of Computer Science, Wichita State University
Wichita, KS 67260-0083
316-978-3922
rodney.bates at wichita.edu