[M3devel] About permissions on sources in the case of sources with permissions for owner only

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Thu Jan 17 12:35:00 CET 2008

Late follow-up:

Quoting Henning Thielemann <lemming at henning-thielemann.de>:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Daniel Alejandro Benavides D. wrote:
>
>> I got a commentary about files produced by the compiler and the
>> files exported to the repository (ship)
>> When compiling a package (bilist present on directory list of
>> http://users.informatik.uni-halle.de/~thielema/Research/datastruct.tar.bz2
>> ) that has read and write permissions only for the owner
>> I got files in LINUXLIBC6 that are readable for the group and other users.
>> But when shipped on the 'src' directory they 're just readable for
>> the owner (root).
>
> This is a general problem, not bound to BiList.
>
> As a work-around I wrote a script which corrects permissions after the
> installation.
>
> $ more cm3ship
> cm3 -ship
> (chmod -R a+r /usr/local/cm3/pkg ; chmod a+x `find
> /usr/local/cm3/pkg -type d`) &
>
> However, I do not want to call it 'solution'.

This has bothered me several times, too. If the user's umask is
set wrong, other's won't be able to change his installations.
It can both be seen as a bug or a feature though.

Today we leave all the permission settings to the OS. At least on
POSIX the builder could set the group bit or just apply its own
umask (defined in cm3.cfg). I don't know what to do on Windows,
though; and on POSIX systems ACLs are used more and more.

What do other's think: do we want to add some support for permissions
wrt. team working?

Olaf