[M3devel] cygwin users?

Mika Nystrom mika at async.caltech.edu
Mon Jan 21 11:54:26 CET 2008

I develop on FreeBSD but my production system runs under Cygwin.

It links with libpq.a, plus various C and Fortran code I wrote
myself under Unix.  It also builds with make, uses readline, calls
/bin/sh, etc., etc., etc.

I'm using PM3/Klagenfurt for this, and I'm just DYING to shift it
to CM3 one day, because since I need Pickles to work across all
architectures I'm using I'm currently in the situation that I can't
use Linux in our clustered system (no PM3), nor can I use MacOS
(also no PM3).  One of my business partners uses Ubuntu, so his
computer can't talk to mine, and I have a Mac laptop, so my laptop
can't talk to my main systems.  Etc.  Cygwin is the only of five
or six environments that I have to use that can't run CM3.

Yes it is probably possible for me to port my code to native Windows
(anything is possible), but the beauty of Cygwin is that I can be
fairly confident that any code that works on FreeBSD, no matter how
weird and Unix-specific, will also work on Cygwin.  (Once you know
about the pitfalls in Time.T and file semantics.)

I am a bona fide "Windows hater".  To me, Windows is an especially
bloated program loader that for some bizarre reason people have
chosen to load the most useful web browsers and music players.  I
haven't found anything else useful that it does.  I have seen people
use something called "Visual Studio" on it.  Oh yes, I even used
it myself once, but I couldn't figure out how to transport the
program I wrote to the computer of someone who didn't have "Visual
Studio" to run (even after asking some of my former students, who
are now programmers at Microsoft), so I gave up on it. I think it
is for people like me that Cygwin was invented.

     Mika