[M3devel] cygwin users?

Darko darko at darko.org
Mon Jan 21 01:18:59 CET 2008

I don't use Cygwin, but I use a Unix command line under Windows (I
found the basic bash tools compiled to be used standalone under
Windows, they might be MinGW based, but I'm not sure). I generally use
GUI tools, CodeWarrior on my Mac generally, but also the MS IDE for
its debugging tool.

I'm interested in the NT/GNU platform mostly for the optimised code
generation. I guess I represent the other side to the Unix geeks -
it's just another platform to me and I'd like to keep it distinct from
Windows, mainly for performance, compatibility and simplicity. I think
there are many potential users like me out there, who don't
particularly care about Unix.

M3's Unix heritage has hindered M3 a little I think. One of the
reasons M3 isn't more popular is because there are no simple
installers for common "user" platforms. One of the things I'd like to
do is create a installer for Windows and Mac OS X with full native API
interfaces, a full set of relevant compiled libraries, and a little
bit of documentation. That way people can give it a try with the
minimum of time invested. People will discover M3 is a great language
to program in if people actually get a chance to use it.

Thanks for doing all the work you've been doing on the NT platform,
Jay, it is much appreciated and has the potential to bring may more
users to M3.

Darko.