[M3devel] next problem (NT386GNU)

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 22 08:34:35 CET 2008

Olaf, yes and no.

How do I then bring the files into mainline?
Which Tinderbox is testing them?
  This is impossible question probably, because Tinderbox for private changes probably doesn't scale well. But it would be nice. And other than private branches, submitting diffs would be nice. Or, as well, these can be crutches for bad changes, and people can abuse the Tinderbox. It's tough though, because a multi machine Tinderbox can always easily do much more diligence than one developer and his local machines. (What's the Win32 Tinderbox story, I wonder? I guess first I can see if Mozilla has one, and if not, it probably doesn't exist, if so, it does :) )

I don't mind the command line, but I'm a bit slow learning new tools. I find new source control systems daunting.
I'm quite expert with Perforce though including branching, integrating, resolving, etc..
You don't have to be in Cygwin (sh) to use cvs, but it's true, one very annoying thing about all these forward-slash-requiring tools is I lose the usefulness of command line completion in cmd. Cmd is quite good at editing command lines, keeping output and command line history (set the scrollback to 9999), copy/paste, and is very fast, nothing else that I have tried competes. Most are even merely slower on their video output except maybe the actual text ones. The F8 feature, command line completion against history, which I can't explain well, is really great. MSys comes up with awful colors that I couldn't figure out how to change. Cygwin makes all your paths be /cygdrive/c/... which is just ugly and long. MSys/MinGWin are much nicer with merely /c...

I installed TortoiseCVS but it didn't work..I need to look into how to get it to use ssh.
But as well, if my work doesn't suck too much, it should be fine for mainline.

Look at diffs is really also slow.
I've done best by always saving away an .orig file and then windiff.
Otherwise 1) is very slow 2) textual diffs...I use the command line all the time, but for viewing diffs...it's really insufficient.

 - Jay