[M3devel] next problem (NT386GNU)

Randy Coleburn rcoleburn at scires.com
Tue Jan 22 20:48:38 CET 2008

Jay / Olaf:

I installed CVSNT and TortoiseCVS.  I am having some trouble with
"update" however.  When I try to update the whole tree, it begins
working, but after a little while I start seeing messages that checksums
didn't match on certain files and that it will refetch.  Then, after
just a little longer, it stops responding.  I've left it running for
hours, but no new lines scroll by saying it is doing anything.  Finally,
I just hit cancel and it promptly stops and informs me it aborted the
operation, as if it been waiting all along for me to tell it to give
up.

Now, if I update individual files or selected files, it seems to work
no problem.  And, I've been able to check out the whole repository, and
yes it does take some time to pull everything down.  I can also do diffs
on selected files.  I've also used it to commit a few files to the
repository.

So, it is working fine, except for update.  Either something is amiss,
or I'm not doing something just right.  I am about to consider going
back to cygwin and running its version of cvs on my tree to see if it
will do the update, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that is not
good to mix between cvs and cvsnt on the same tree.

Jay, I too have used WinDiff for a long time.  But, with the CVSNT and
Tortoise installs, I also installed WinMerge.  ( http://winmerge.org/ )
I'm still learning more about it, but so far, I have enjoyed it better
than WinDiff because in addition to letting you see the diffs, it also
lets you selectively merge diffs between the files using a GUI.  It also
integrates nicely with TortoiseCVS.

Jay, you can get command line completion in Windows, but you have to
make a registry tweak.  There are actually two tweaks: one for filename
completion and one for pathname completion.  They are quite simple.  See
instructions below:

Enable automatic completion for the computer as follows:
a.  Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
b.  Locate and click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Command
Processor key
c.  Double-click the CompletionChar value and type 9 as the value;
Windows converts it to hexadecimal.
d.  Double-click the PathCompletionChar value and type 9 as the value;
Windows converts it to hexadecimal.
e. Quit Registry Editor.
Note that this modification allows you to press the TAB key while in a
command prompt window in order to perform automatic filename and
pathname completion.  (You may have to restart or log in again before
this modification will take affect.)
Regards,
Randy

>>> Jay <jayk123 at hotmail.com> 1/22/2008 2:34 AM >>>
Olaf, yes and no.

How do I then bring the files into mainline?
Which Tinderbox is testing them?
  This is impossible question probably, because Tinderbox for private
changes probably doesn't scale well. But it would be nice. And other
than private branches, submitting diffs would be nice. Or, as well,
these can be crutches for bad changes, and people can abuse the
Tinderbox. It's tough though, because a multi machine Tinderbox can
always easily do much more diligence than one developer and his local
machines. (What's the Win32 Tinderbox story, I wonder? I guess first I
can see if Mozilla has one, and if not, it probably doesn't exist, if
so, it does :) )

I don't mind the command line, but I'm a bit slow learning new tools. I
find new source control systems daunting.
I'm quite expert with Perforce though including branching, integrating,
resolving, etc..
You don't have to be in Cygwin (sh) to use cvs, but it's true, one very
annoying thing about all these forward-slash-requiring tools is I lose
the usefulness of command line completion in cmd. Cmd is quite good at
editing command lines, keeping output and command line history (set the
scrollback to 9999), copy/paste, and is very fast, nothing else that I
have tried competes. Most are even merely slower on their video output
except maybe the actual text ones. The F8 feature, command line
completion against history, which I can't explain well, is really great.
MSys comes up with awful colors that I couldn't figure out how to
change. Cygwin makes all your paths be /cygdrive/c/... which is just
ugly and long. MSys/MinGWin are much nicer with merely /c...

I installed TortoiseCVS but it didn't work..I need to look into how to
get it to use ssh.
But as well, if my work doesn't suck too much, it should be fine for
mainline.

Look at diffs is really also slow.
I've done best by always saving away an .orig file and then windiff.
Otherwise 1) is very slow 2) textual diffs...I use the command line all
the time, but for viewing diffs...it's really insufficient.

 - Jay

> Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 08:10:49 +0100
> From: wagner at elegosoft.com
> To: m3devel at elegosoft.com
> Subject: Re: [M3devel] next problem (NT386GNU)
>
> Quoting Jay <jayk123 at hotmail.com>:
>
> > I don't want to deal with learning about CVS branches, please.
>
> I don't understand the problems some people seem to have with CVS.
> Creating a branch is really simple:
>
> o create a branch tag, for example:
>
> cvs tag -b devel_nt386gnu_gcc_opt files(s)
>
> o update to that branch:
>
> cvs up -r devel_nt386gnu_gcc_opt files(s)
>
> That's it. The tag is now `sticky' on the files, i.e. remembered
> in the CVS/Entries files in your workspace. From now on you're
> using the branch for the mentioned files. To restore them to the
> latest main trunk version, use
>
> cvs up -A files(s)
>
> And Jay, as a Windows user you probably don't like to use the cvs
> commandline in Cygwin; just install CVS-NT and tortoise (Randy did,
> too). It may be more convenient for you.
>
> Olaf
> --
> Olaf Wagner -- elego Software Solutions GmbH
> Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25 / Gebäude 12, 13355 Berlin, Germany
> phone: +49 30 23 45 86 96 mobile: +49 177 2345 869 fax: +49 30 23 45
86 95
> http://www.elegosoft.com | Geschäftsführer: Olaf Wagner | Sitz:
Berlin
> Handelregister: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg HRB 77719 | USt-IdNr:
DE163214194

Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your Hotmail*-get
your "fix". Check it out. ( http://www.msnmobilefix.com/Default.aspx )