[M3devel] next problem (NT386GNU)

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Wed Jan 23 00:04:35 CET 2008

Quoting Randy Coleburn <rcoleburn at scires.com>:

> Jay / Olaf:
>
> I installed CVSNT and TortoiseCVS.  I am having some trouble with
> "update" however.  When I try to update the whole tree, it begins
> working, but after a little while I start seeing messages that checksums
> didn't match on certain files and that it will refetch.  Then, after
> just a little longer, it stops responding.  I've left it running for
> hours, but no new lines scroll by saying it is doing anything.  Finally,
> I just hit cancel and it promptly stops and informs me it aborted the
> operation, as if it been waiting all along for me to tell it to give
> up.
>
> Now, if I update individual files or selected files, it seems to work
> no problem.  And, I've been able to check out the whole repository, and
> yes it does take some time to pull everything down.  I can also do diffs
> on selected files.  I've also used it to commit a few files to the
> repository.
>
> So, it is working fine, except for update.  Either something is amiss,
> or I'm not doing something just right.  I am about to consider going
> back to cygwin and running its version of cvs on my tree to see if it
> will do the update, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that is not
> good to mix between cvs and cvsnt on the same tree.

This is strange. I've never seen that myself before. A complete
update or checkout should take several minutes via encrypted
TCP/IP, but not longer (depending on the line bandwidth and latency,
of course).

Just today I've heard of a customer who suffers from random connection
problems with Subversion and Windows 2000 workstations; the theory there
being that some TCP/IP parameters are set very strange and the whole
protocol stack is not up to the task in its default configuration.
This does not happen on XT or Vista, though, who seem to have incorporated
significant improvements. (It's all rather strange to me, since I'm a
Unix person myself and used to stable networking.)

So depending on your OS you might want to tweak the TCP parameters a
little bit to see if it improves. Hard-core debugging of this problem
will need careful use of tcpdump and produce megabytes of logs;
but perhaps just using the cvs trace option (cvs -t up ...) will
give some indication if there's another problem than the underlying
connection.

There's also nothing against checking out a different workspace
with the Cygwin cvs to see if that works better. We've made good
experiences with CVSNT though.

If the problem persists, we could also try to do some tcpdumping on
the server side (Ronny Forberger would be the one to do it), but this
will take some preparation time.

@Ronny, perhaps you've got another idea?

Regards,

Olaf