[M3devel] INSTALL_ROOT and PKG_USE in cm3.cfg

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 25 11:29:28 CET 2008

ok, but independent of what it's actual dependencies are...how many people run Darwin? How many people run Mac OS X? How many people have heard of Darwin (not Charles)? How many people have heard of Mac OS X? Even among the unusual people who might read anything related to Modula-3 and own a Macintosh running Mac OS X? I know it's not a popularity contest but.. NT386 should be called Windows. The name "NT" will probably gradually fade into obscurity and the name "Windows" will live on much longe. Posix and Unix will probably be forgotten and people will only have heard of "Linux".

The PPC_DARWIN port has an optional dependency on X Windows..is that available for plain Darwin or only with Mac OS X?

Anyway..it's just a gut feeling I have as to what names people would look for and find less surprising.
I was surprised by "Darwin", therefore would be.. :)
MacX is maybe a better compromise to be shorter.
or Macintosh for verbosity and without so many initials.. (NT386 may be short and typable but every letter is a syllable and I think economy of syllables is also important....(not clear if prounounced "eight" or "eighty")
Or maybe just Mac, assuming nobody thinks there will ever be a port to pre MacX, which could be called OldMac or MacClassic or Mac9 anyway if necessary.. :)

LINUX, LINUXELF, LINUXLIBC6? Please.
Couldn't Linux have been recycled for LINUXLIBC6?Does anyone have Linux 1.2 around?
That's the version I've run the most, long ago. :)

Anyway I don't care THAT much and I will resist suggesting any more names for any preexisting targets or criticizing them.
They almost all stink, esp. the active ones. :)
Are the older FreeBSD ABIs so inferior that it is worth having newer ones? They didn't have pthreads back then and they do now?

 - Jay