[M3devel] INSTALL_ROOT and PKG_USE in cm3.cfg

Tony Hosking hosking at cs.purdue.edu
Fri Jan 25 15:39:22 CET 2008

On Jan 25, 2008, at 5:29 AM, Jay wrote:

> ok, but independent of what it's actual dependencies are...how many
> people run Darwin? How many people run Mac OS X? How many people
> have heard of Darwin (not Charles)? How many people have heard of
> Mac OS X? Even among the unusual people who might read anything
> related to Modula-3 and own a Macintosh running Mac OS X? I know
> it's not a popularity contest but.. NT386 should be called Windows.
> The name "NT" will probably gradually fade into obscurity and the
> name "Windows" will live on much longe. Posix and Unix will
> probably be forgotten and people will only have heard of "Linux".
>
> The PPC_DARWIN port has an optional dependency on X Windows..is
> that available for plain Darwin or only with Mac OS X?

Darwin makes sense given that it works on both MacOSX and open source
Darwin.

> Anyway..it's just a gut feeling I have as to what names people
> would look for and find less surprising.
> I was surprised by "Darwin", therefore would be.. :)

Folks installing from source the way M3 requires generally are
familiar with this terminology.  If we had binary installers then
naturally OSX would make sense.

> MacX is maybe a better compromise to be shorter.
> or Macintosh for verbosity and without so many initials.. (NT386
> may be short and typable but every letter is a syllable and I think
> economy of syllables is also important....(not clear if prounounced
> "eight" or "eighty")
> Or maybe just Mac, assuming nobody thinks there will ever be a port
> to pre MacX, which could be called OldMac or MacClassic or Mac9
> anyway if necessary.. :)
>
> LINUX, LINUXELF, LINUXLIBC6? Please.
> Couldn't Linux have been recycled for LINUXLIBC6?
> Does anyone have Linux 1.2 around?
> That's the version I've run the most, long ago. :)

You must understand that the naming schemes grew organically over the
past 20 years or so (before Linux was even widely known!), and when
Windows was definitely not NT and never would have supported M3.

> Anyway I don't care THAT much and I will resist suggesting any more
> names for any preexisting targets or criticizing them.
> They almost all stink, esp. the active ones. :)
> Are the older FreeBSD ABIs so inferior that it is worth having
> newer ones? They didn't have pthreads back then and they do now?

Keeping the old distros around with their old names is a convenient
historical record that I have frequently used to implement
functionality on new systems.  For example, much of the current
Solaris exception handling (which uses native stack unwinding rather
than setjmp/longjmp) was derived from DS3100 and ALPHA_OSF!
Remember, the average M3 installer from source will need to be
somewhat familiar with the target names.  We should also strive to
allow easier installs from RPMS on Linux, Fink on OSX, and binary
installers on Windows that will cater to the masses!