[M3devel] nt386gnu threads?

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 28 13:25:20 CET 2008

ok, I partially take that back.
It looks like pthreads are the path of least resistance.. but still probably not great perf since cygwin pthread mutexes are kernel objects.. (Win32 critical sections only involve the kernel if there is contention, Win32 mutexes are kernel objects.)

 - Jay

From: jayk123 at hotmail.comTo: m3devel at elegosoft.comSubject: nt386gnu threads?Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 11:29:31 +0000

Can anyone confirm my read that PM3's NT386GNU used user/vtalarm threads?PM3 appears to have no PThread support ant its NT386GNU appears to have OS_TYPE=POSIX.Heck, even its NT386 has OS_TYPE=POSIX, but its NT386 is probably dead/broken. 1) I'm too lazy to tediously rewrite Cygwin's pthread.h et. al. into Modula-3.2) The thread library you pick is not an independent decision. The Modula-3 File I/O libraries interact with the threading library at least a little bit. The path of less resistance seems to be user/vtalarm threads for now, untilsuch time as Cygwin Upthread.i3 is written.(That is, neither pthreads nor win32 satisfied my laziness; I'm going to try user/vtalarm threads, see how it goes; I'm sure they aren't very good, but...)  - Jay