[M3devel] cm3.cfg variables for IDE

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Mon Jan 28 23:31:30 CET 2008

Quoting Jay <jayk123 at hotmail.com>:
> Do people tend to have firefox or firefox-bin on $PATH on Unix, if
> they have it on their machines?

People I know use all sorts of browsers on Unix: firefox, mozilla,
opera, conquerer, ...

> Or they have "shortcuts" on their "start menus"?
>    I know this totally Windows termonilogy but I have used KDE and
> GNOME and they seem pretty isomorphic in this area.
>    Ok, I guess they are the K menu the Foot menu. I don't know what
> they call "shortcuts".

I still use fvwm and avoid all more enhanced desktops if possible ;-)

> Is anyone, um, interested in adopting spaces in their file paths on
> Unix and work out the kinks?

This has been tried before, but it will break all simple usage
of command line utilities (and there are hundreds of these).
I personally don't see the point of using spaces in file names,
but opinions may differ on this topic.

As for the rest: I'd like to see a list of those settings an
installer should find out for itself (as they are platform dependent
and there is no real choice for the user) and those that are
truly user-selectable due to personal preferences etc. These may
also depend on the platform. Such a document may might be a start
for an installer redesign (if we don't go for the system-dependent
installation packages at last). It will be a tedious work to
do that though.

Olaf