[M3devel] cm3.cfg variables for IDE

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 29 01:46:50 CET 2008

> Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 23:31:30 +0100> From: wagner at elegosoft.com> > Quoting Jay <jayk123 at hotmail.com>:> > Do people tend to have firefox or firefox-bin on $PATH on Unix, if > > they have it on their machines?> > People I know use all sorts of browsers on Unix: firefox, mozilla,> opera, conquerer, ...

That wasn't my complete point, but partly.
Do people have their browser in $PATH?
Such that a full path isn't needed?
I guess the answer is sometimes yes sometimes no.
> > I still use fvwm and avoid all more enhanced desktops if possible ;-)> > > Is anyone, um, interested in adopting spaces in their file paths on > > Unix and work out the kinks?> > This has been tried before, but it will break all simple usage> of command line utilities (and there are hundreds of these).> I personally don't see the point of using spaces in file names,> but opinions may differ on this topic.

I agree it is pretty pointless, but yet unfortunately on Windows there is "Program Files" and such and it's not going away.
The biggest problem with quoting is you never know how many layers are going to quote/unquote.
Really it's a major type system problem...one flat string vs. an array of strings.
If only we typed in our command lines in a little gui with a box per parameter. :)

cm3/cm3cg is very clever in one way here.
cm3cg always gets its input and output from the current working directory.
Boom, so many annoying problems gone. :)

I don't think "hundreds" of utilities are relevant here, just a few.
cc, ld, libtool, cl, link, cm3, cm3cg (not), and a little bit over in m3cc/m3gdb make sed sh.

Ok, nevermind...just that I see those short paths..what a hack, they aren't even guaranteeably available, the option can be turned off....once this stuff is in I'll try to take a look at and fix it, only for the small number of visible cases, not the hundreds of cases.