[M3devel] modula-3 uniq.exe?

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Thu Jun 5 14:36:44 CEST 2008

Quoting Jay <jayk123 at hotmail.com>:

> The Modula-3 tree has a simple little uniq.exe. It's like 10 lines,
> looks reasonable.
> I haven't debugged it, but when I have \cm3\bin and therefore
> \cm3\bin\uniq.exe early in %PATH%, building in m3-sys/m3cc hangs. I
> have seen this twice recently, so it wasn't a one time fluke. Both
> times I control-c, delete \cm3\bin\uniq.exe, rmdir /q/s
> NT386<whatever> (cross builds of m3cc use a two part output
> directory), cm3 again, and problem solved.
>
> I know it's good to build everything possible, make it sure it all
> builds and all that, but the code is pretty trivial and uninteresting.
>
> How about we remove it from the "std" group?
>
> (I'm still not using pkginfo.txt myself, hypocrisy, but let's assume
>  I am; pylib.py has its own list currently.)
>
> Or in its m3makefile put like if not equal(target, "nt386") around it all
> I know I know, I'm lazy, it should be debugged and fixed properly,
> but it just doesn't seem all that worthwhile. And I also don't to
> have to keep deleting it.

I think the only point of this program was to make uniq available on
Win32, but I don't remember that is has ever been used outside
Critical Mass Inc. Thus exluding it on NT386 wouldn't make much sense
in my opinion.

I've got no problem to remove it from std, as long as we don't really
need it somewhere.

And I don't really understand why your builds hang; perhaps this
would be worth investigating?

Olaf