[M3devel] SOLsun/libgcc/libsunmath/FloatMode/dynamic linking/..?

Jay jayk123 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 14 00:58:05 CEST 2008

Right, good point, gcc usually generates worse code than any other compiler.
"We" don't have much C code though, so the compiler is mostly just a driver for the linker.
> It would be interesting how good or bad M3s compiled code actually
The little I've looked at is not good, but nobody notices.
Besides I don't want to pay the time or the risk or lost debugability of gcc's optimizer so I don't use it lately. The integrated backend is quite in the middle. It does certain local optimizations all the time, but lacks analysis over a larger scope.> Are there any important differences in the linkers? I wouldn't care> much otherwise.
I don't know. I'm still working on getting gcc and ld built/installed/working, though might skip them.
Sun ld is what is in use and, for once, I'll say I have enough other stuff to leave this very very low priority. (My ambition on this platform is basically -- make sure I can build it, make sure I can build a distribution, finally introduce "version.txt" now having Solaris /bin/sh/sed/awk to test with!, and then add introduce SPARC64_SOLARIS -- begging the question of GNU/Sun targets...)

Hm, speaking of version.txt -- if I test on Solaris 10, good enough?
Are folks on this list using Modula-3 on older versions of Solaris?
Even so, what works on 10 "probably" works on older.

 - Jay> Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:27:44 +0200> From: wagner at elegosoft.com> To: m3devel at elegosoft.com> Subject: Re: [M3devel] SOLsun/libgcc/libsunmath/FloatMode/dynamic linking/..?> > Quoting Jay <jayk123 at hotmail.com>:> > >> > Ok I'll have to send out some smaller mails. Hey, I figure, you get > > the quality of email you pay me for. :)> > Could you be more elaborate on who exactly is paying you for M3 work? ;-)> I'd like to share this experience...> > > The "obvious" question is, sort of, does anyone give a darn about SOLsun?> > Using it actively?> > Wanting it back?> > Not personally, but I'd just like to remind you of the fact that> the Sun compilers were/are highly optimized for the SPARC architecture,> so that in certain performance critical domains nobody would use> gcc. I don't really know if this is still a current problem of gcc,> nor do I know if it has much impacts on CM3 as the gcc backend is> used anyway for all M3 code.> > It would be interesting how good or bad M3s compiled code actually> is wrt. the different target platforms... I've got no intention to> set up benchmark testing for this though ;-)> > > Another question is, does anyone give a darn what linker is used on SOL*?> > If the matter is just to use what is most easily/cheaply acquired, > > then the answer is use the Sun ld.> > Perhaps if the matter is "cross platform compatibility" then GNU, > > perhaps. (ie: bring along as much as you can so you can keep as much > > the same as possible, such as command lines/config file contents).> > Are there any important differences in the linkers? I wouldn't care> much otherwise.> > Olaf> -- > Olaf Wagner -- elego Software Solutions GmbH> Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25 / Gebäude 12, 13355 Berlin, Germany> phone: +49 30 23 45 86 96 mobile: +49 177 2345 869 fax: +49 30 23 45 86 95> http://www.elegosoft.com | Geschäftsführer: Olaf Wagner | Sitz: Berlin> Handelregister: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg HRB 77719 | USt-IdNr: DE163214194>