[M3devel] SVN migration, also promotion

Dragiša Durić dragisha at m3w.org
Sun Mar 16 09:04:53 CET 2008

And, I forgot to mention probable impact on public with more organized
development of CM3. Most people, and I have few friends from C++/D world
who look regularly at Modula-3, don't see our little community as too
organized force. OSS world moved on since CVS became widespread.
Separated web, no wiki, no tickets. Source history surfable with one
tool, web (best looking in lynx, don't even try something else:) built
with other, no real effort to document in depth.

Few weeks ago there was mention about possible promotion time. With
state of Modula-3 system we are all aware of, it is excellent idea. Only
problem is - other people must collect plethora of information from
plethora of sources. 99% of them will stop at first obstacle, and we
have a lot of them ready.

One example.. Yesterday, I came over Mr. Hosking's commit log on m3devel
archive. All nice - except text went off right side of my screen some
two meters. Most people will pass on - one more unreadable mail archive
on the web. I've used CVS to read it, of course. But most people will
not know alternatives, or not care - why would they if we don't care??

Similiar communities are spoiling their "followers", but we Modula-3
people are "it's all out there, you are not getting it? Pity!".

dd

--
Dragiša Durić <dragisha at m3w.org>