[M3devel] SVN migration, also promotion

Stefan Sperling stsp at elego.de
Sun Mar 16 12:56:47 CET 2008

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 09:04:53AM +0100, Dragiša Durić wrote:
> And, I forgot to mention probable impact on public with more organized
> development of CM3.

Hey Dragiša,

if your only concern is having something like trac available for cm3,
(and you don't really want SVN for all its other advantages over CVS)
have you checked out http://www.cvstrac.org/ ?

I have not looked at it closely, but if it matches your needs,
I guess it could be added to the current infrastructure without
major headaches (I would volunteer to help elego admins set this
up if necessary). The installation instructions don't look too
complicated (oh, if only this was the case for cm3 as well :)

> Most people, and I have few friends from C++/D world
> who look regularly at Modula-3, don't see our little community as too
> organized force. OSS world moved on since CVS became widespread.

I concur, that is part of the problem of low cm3 adaption imho.
Other parts are the arcane installation system and requirements,
even though the "everything goes in one folder"-install seems to get
more-and-more widespread again in the unix world these days (see
mac os and pcbsd). But it's very hard to package cm3 for a current
Linux distribution or BSD system while complying with their packaging
guidelines. cm3 is still showing its non-FOSS roots here.

--
Stefan Sperling <stsp at elego.de>                 Software Developer
elego Software Solutions GmbH                            HRB 77719