[M3devel] SVN migration, also promotion

Dragiša Durić dragisha at m3w.org
Sun Mar 16 21:22:17 CET 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 20:34 +0100, Olaf Wagner wrote:
> Quoting Dragiša Durić <dragisha at m3w.org>:
> >
> > I can understand you, as someone from SCM company, are a bit touchy on
> > these topics. What I say, as a longtime OSS user/follower and sometimes
> > contributor, is - Modula-3 train is pretty hard one to jump on.
>
> I'll grant you that, but as others have pointed out, this is
> rather due to the completely different roots of the project.
> We'll need to work on it to make CM3 more user-friendly of course.

  And we're all on same task here. Few years ago, I was telling people
my big wish is to see Modula-3 as first class citizen of modern
programming language world. Modula-3 is that, now. And every day, more
so.

> >   Next time your company gets such job, outsource it to mine - I'll do
> > it for half that money and 1/6 the time :).
>
> If you can really do these projects in 1/6th of our time, we will
> surely be interested in working with you :-) You should not underestimate
> the time needed for system analysis, meetings, convincing people and
> writing documents though ;-) The technical aspects are often marginal
> compared to the human factor. (Where exactly are you located? Would
> you be willing to travel? :-))

  Technical and convicing people is second nature to me :). As for
travel, I'll call you when I learn German :).

> >> I'd rather invest these efforts for other goals. If other CM3 users
> >> think it is worthwhile to do, they should just do it; after all, this
> >> is an open source project. No tool will be able to bring about more
> >> organized development of CM3 simply by its use though. It needs
> >> willing and competent humans to do this.
> >
> > It also can be done other way. As SVN from CVS can be done
> > incrementally, we can make a sync-only SVN repo so locally installed
> > trac can browse/link CM3's SVN. Voila.
>
> This sounds like a good idea. Would you be willing to provide a
> prototype setup for the read-only svn mirror?

I'll work on whole thing. Trac setup is easy and it's self contained we
can copy it once I have it moving.

> > If I produced this trick in commercial environment, I would be hard
> > pressed to charge it 5,000-10,000 EUR. Too bad nobody'll pay :).
>
> Not for Modula-3 :-) If such a setup is really needed in an enterprise,
> they'll certainly pay this price if they haven't got the knowledge to
> do it on their own.

  Of course. I usually don't sell such services, but I know the drill.

> >> I should have used the time it took me to write this mail for working
> >> on CM3 code and infrastructure.
> >
> >   I am sorry you are receiving this so hard. I think it would be really
> > good idea to look a bit what other OSS people are doing and use some
> > fresh ideas.
>
> Of course you are right, it is always a good idea to look what others
> are doing. And I'm not personally annoyed in any way; just a bit
> bit tired, as I said.
>
> So I hope I haven't quenched your enthusiasm and contributions,

  You are not. Did you read that bit on convincing people? I am pretty
used to reactions like yours. They all react like that, at first. :)

> Olaf

  dd

--
Dragiša Durić <dragisha at m3w.org>